Garden on the Square. Last year when I was riding the crazy train planning my fabulous wedding, I fell in love with hanging votives- but NOT their price! However, a blessing named Julie Discroll suggested I make them myself. She gave a few words of advice and before I knew it I was pinned up in my house twiddling votives day and night!
I made 208 hanging votives for my wedding! I got so good at making them I could make a box of 8 in 15 minutes, impressive, i know. I was so proud of myself and they were stunning!
Just by following these simple instructions, you add a handle to anything and make your own hanging objects:
- One spool of 24 gage wire in gold or silver available at hardware store
- One glass votive
- Wire cutters available at hardware store
- Take wire and measure across the neck of the bottle, add a little slack, cut the wire
- Wrap the wire around the bottle just below the rim, and loosely fasten it.
- Cut a short length (approx. 4 to 5 inches), this is for the handle.
- To create handle, attach one end to each side of the wire encircling the bottle, then twist each end to secure it.
- Now pull the loosely fastened end of the encircling wire, and secure the ends by twisting them together. Repeat for desired amount of votives.
I've recently added a twist to this DIY, and entered it into a contest. I am now a finalist in the 2010 Ruffled Blog DIY Contest. Please check it out! If you love this project as much as I do, please go online and vote for me! All you have to do is leave a comment stating #19 IS YOUR FAVORITE, please! Voting will remain open till Thursday, so please vote! I'm counting on you!