Monday, April 26, 2010

DIY Wedding Veil

Do It Yourself: Wedding Veil



Bride’s wearing white veils on their wedding day is a time-honored tradition that dates back to biblical times. The wedding veils is said to represent modesty and when the veil is lifted at the wedding ceremony, the ritual symbolizes the groom is taking possession of the bride in front of her parents.



As I have mentioned on my biography, I enjoy making hair ornaments and have recently focused on making custom bridal headpieces and wedding veils. I incorporate unique individual design and antique jewelry. Personal touches are added by using family heirloom jewelry and wedding dress pieces. I love the juxtaposition of modern versus vintage in every sense of fashion design, especially when we are talking wedding fashion! I think the veil can be a very important and personal accessory for the bride on her wedding day. However, it is not necessary. Since I have had a lot of fun experimenting with making wedding veils, I thought it would be interesting to try and incorporate my hobby with the blog!




I have been inspired by so many hand-crafted veils and bridal hair ornaments online and in magazines. I love the classic birdcage veils, long white and traditional, and even high-fashion whimsical veils. I tend to step outside of the box when it comes fashion so I decided to play around with the high fashion, fun, creative side of myself and make a veil for a daring fashionista! I was inspired by Carrie Bradshaw in the Sex and the City movie, when she wore her gorgeous blue bird in her hair on her wedding day, so I made a crazy blue veil! This project is not for everyone but if you want to add some creative flair to your big day then this will be the perfect project for you.





I am providing you with the steps I took in creating my very own wedding veil. I think the steps will be easy to follow and modify. Please note that these instructions can be followed exactly or loosely, depending on your wishes for the outcome.

Materials needed:


1-2 yards of tulle
Scissors
Sewing needle
Spool of thread



Hair comb
1 antique brooch (this could vary-try using a piece of your mother or grandmothers old wedding dress)

Instructions:



1. Cut a square of tulle. The size depends on how large you want the veil to be. My tulle square was ½-1 yard.



2. After the tulle square is cut the veil is ready to be assembled. Using your needle and thread, stitch around the outer edges of the square, leaving about 1 ft. to cover the face.



3. Pull the thread down to gather the tulle. It should look like a tulle pouch and knot in the back.









4. Manipulate the tulle to make your desired shape and stitch directly through the center of the tulle pouch and gather again. (I had leftover tulle flowers from the corsage DIY that I stacked and sewed to the center.)




5. Attach the gathered tulle to the hair comb with your needle and thread. This can be through the center of the tulle (or skewed if you prefer) and stitch in place.











6. Now, take your brooch and center it on the tulle flower. Pin in place.




7. If you don’t like the puffy voluminous edges, using your scissors, cut the tulle as much as you want. However, make sure to cut clean edges.








VOILA! Your veil is finished!!










Now that the veil is finished, give it as a gift or keep it for yourself. I hope you have enjoyed this project!









If you decide to try this DIY out, let me know! We would love to hear feedback!









"Looking good, Billy Ray! Feeling good, Louis!"



peace out,


M.

No comments:

Post a Comment