Monday, March 8, 2010

And the Oscar goes to...


Green with Envy/Oscar Review.

Welcome back all my blooming MaQnolias! I hope you all had a "red carpet" worthy weekend.

"Green with envy" is the theme of the week and there is no better time to bring up this intoxicating emotion, than right here at the official end of award season, in particular the coveted Oscars. In this post I am going to focus on the Besties and Wor...DISASTERS of Oscar 2010.

BESTIES

1. Kudos to Kathryn Bigelow for making Oscar history last night. She is the first woman to win an Oscar in the Best Director category for her film "The Hurt Locker". She also took home the highest honor of the night, Best Picture. She did all of this sitting directly in front of ex-husband and fellow nominee James Cameron. Talk about the ultimate "martini in your face" moment.

2. The "Brat pack" tribute celebrating the late John Hughes was very appropriate. Combining all of his memorable characters, catch phrases, and timeless scenes that helped most of the Oscar audience get through puberty, was one of the best highlights of the night.

3. Lauren Bacall receiving an Honorary Oscar. Although we only saw a short piece of her acceptance speech at the motion picture academy's Governors Awards (which was previously held Saturday night.) the acting legend did not disappoint. Her speech could quiet possibly be my favorite of the night.

"I can't believe it -- a man at last," stated the actress. "The thought that when I get home I'm going to have a two-legged man in my room is so exciting."


4. The Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin combination. Although my all time favorite Oscar host hands down is Billy Crystal, I thoroughly enjoyed Martin and Baldwin. Their jokes we not too lame, their parody clips (Paranormal Activity, and the "snuggie") where hilarious, and they had great onstage chemistry.

5. Kudos to all the winners. Sandy, Jeff Bridges, Mo, and Christoph were my picks for Oscar and for the first year....ever, I was right in all of the acting categories.This year I agreed with the academy's decision on almost every winner.. Except, and I have to say this, I was feeling pretty blue when Tarantino did not win for Best Original Screenplay. I knew the Bastards would not win it all, but I felt sure they would nail original screenplay.


DISASTERS...dun dun dunnn...

I had a hard time coming up with disasters. All in all I thought the Oscars ran very smoothly this year. I liked the layout, how they introduced the nominees, and the flow of the Oscars. Oh and did you notice, we solved America' debt problem...how do you get the USA out of debt? Have James Cameron make a movie or two. There were no major fashion no no's that stick in my mind...except maybe Charlize...I'll have to let M take care of the runway. However there was one cringe worthy moment that was so embarrassing I could hardly watch it. When director Roger Ross was giving his acceptance speech for Best Documentary Short, "Music by Prudence.", his producer, who has been dubbed "Lady Kayne", Elinor Burkett, totally interrupts him and begins her own blabbering about...about...uhh...to be honest I haven't the slightest clue what she said, I was too embarrassed that someone who looks identical to "Frank the Entertainer's" mother, had just pulled a Kanye at the Oscars...come on now...it's the Oscars, save the drama for MTV.

See the Resemblance...(Left, Elinor Burkett; Right, Frank the entertainer's mother)


Now let's have another year of Oscar worthy movies!

xoxo

Q


No comments:

Post a Comment