Thursday, June 10, 2010

Showcase Thursday- June 10



Every Thursday of our weekly blog we present a showcase. The showcase is of a particular someone or company that is playing an active part in the world of art, fashion, and all around creativity. We hope that this segment of our blog serves as a platform for some of the people and businesses we find interesting.

We want to show off people who are making lasting footprints in our fascinating little world.

Meet Bess Gaby
Artist, Printmaker, & Southern Belle
Bess Gaby might have been born a Southern Belle in Macon, Georgia, but this rabble-rouser has a hard time living in one place too long--she wants to see the world!  She's traveled across Spain, Kenya, and Italy, but her next adventure is the good ole' USA.  With only the most necessary possessions (Designer clothes, shoes, and Ferragamo--cat), she will make her way to a place that's Always Sunny---Philadelphia.  Jobless but not homeless, she is determined to work her way up in the world, preferably a job where she can travel and be inspired to create.  
Her Process: 
By deconstructing the printed image, I am able to focus on the non-traditional practices of printmaking. I use papers of various structural integrities to describe form and activate a three-dimensional space. My painterly approach to applying ink to paper led me to investigate how ink and solvents combine to interact with paper. This work has encouraged me to explore paper as a sculptural medium.

Let's Get Inside the Mind of Ms. Gaby

Love or Money? 
Love....love is fun!  Well, to me there are two kinds of love.  A kind where you have so much love, your love reaches out to others and creates more love, then that love multiplies again, and again, and ultimately there is just so much love that you're featured in a magazine, and suddenly whatever you're doing at that moment, makes a TON of money!   The other type implies that you just love one another so much, that you have a small ranch in Montana or something and spend the rest of your lives talking about growing old together.  Both sound nice to me.  

If you could have a luncheon with any three people (real or fictitious/ from any time period, dead or alive) , which three people would you choose and why?
Hmmmm....Two of my guests will have recently passed, J.D. Salinger and Michael Jackson, because I wonder if one was a fan of the other.  Or if MJ had ever even read Catcher in the Rye, who knows?  I'm also thinking they had some issues in common that would be interesting to talk about.  My third would be Walt Disney....why not!  I wanted to be an animator when I was little....that was before art went digital --pffh! 

Any hidden talents? 
 I can catch a fish with my bare hands.  Honest to God.

Last song played on your ipod?
"Bulletproof" by Major Lazer and La Roux.  Go to this link and you can download their whole album for free!! Lazer Proof


If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be & why?
I would be a Narwhal.  Because they do exist, we just don't know that much about them! 

What is the funniest word you have ever heard?
Funniest word?! Cahoots...not only is it a weird word but why would you ever use it in a phrase like, "we're in CAHOOTS."  As a matter of fact, I try to use it whenever I can! When I'm trying to be really sneaky, you know...when I want to see that funny look on a person's face like, "whaaaat??" Who decided to put that word together anyways? And how did it survive so long to actually put it in the dictionary?? Funny.  

If you HAD to change your name, what would you change it to? 
I am always thinking up cool names, but I have never really wanted one for myself because I like my name, Bess.  
But I don't care too much for my last name because no one ever pronounces it right,  so I would probably change my last name Vega...or something else Spanish and sexy. Bess Vega....or Bess Romero....or Bess Montez, haha. I have spanish decent but I've been told my last name, Gaby, is Dutch.  Yes, I would like a hot Spanish name so I could date Javier Bardem or Antonio Banderes.  

To View Her Full Portfolio Visit: 

Also if you are in Athens this weekend, be sure to stop by her YART SALE! (Yard & Art), learn more Here: 

Best of Luck in Philly! 
A.  



By deconstructing the printed image, I am able to focus on the non-traditional practices of printmaking.
I use papers of various structural integrities to describe form and activate a three-dimensional space. My painterly approach to applying ink to paper led me to investigate how ink and solvents combine to interact with paper. This work has encouraged me to explore paper as a sculptural medium.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure why its posted at the top, looks weird- sorry.

    I love me some Bess & you should too! A.

    ReplyDelete